Thursday, June 22, 2017

Can teachers change the culture of a school using storytelling?

I have been thinking about storytelling lately, not the Beauty and the Beast type of storytelling, but the kind of storytelling that comes from teachers which reveal who we are and about WHY we do this thing called teaching every day!   I don’t think that all teachers really think they have a story to tell.  They feel that they are just regular, ordinary people, who do their best everyday and then go home.  I used to think that too when I was a teacher, but because I was encouraged to step out of my box and be a leader, I am now in a position as a principal to encourage and help others find their “why” and then to move forward and do this most awesome work that we call, teaching.  I have talked with teachers about being leaders, and what I am finding is that many do not think they have what it takes to be a leader.  They do not feel that others would find anything that they are doing to be noteworthy.  I disagree!

I just watched a TED-ED talk by Drew Dudley on, “the power of storytelling”.  In his talk he says that there are “lollipop moments” where you did something that inspired or changed someone else and you did not even know that you did something extraordinary until someone comes back to let you know what you did for them. I think teachers have given many “lollipop moments” and they are just not aware of the power that they have been given to inspire and help children be better people by just having that small word of encouragement or providing that listening ear that says to a child that they are going to make it.

I want my teachers to find their story and know that they are at the center of the greatest work on earth and that is educating our children in all areas not just academics.  I want my teachers to know that as they cultivate their story they help to make the culture of our school better and even change areas of our culture that need to be changed! 

Christopher Bronke wrote a blog piece that I found on the Teaching Channel entitled, “Leading Out Loud:  Teacher as Storyteller”.  Mr. Bronke says, “At their core, teachers are leaders.  And when the “leaders” of a school realize this fact and empower teachers to help enact change, welcoming them into the STORY of their school, the impossible becomes the reality, the unimaginable becomes the routine.”   He goes on to say, “teachers are leaders because they’re at the center of the humanity within the work; living in and yet simultaneously crafting the story of the school, the narrative of the culture, and this is absolutely essential because the reality is this:  a story entertains, it engages; it endears us to others; it enrages; but most importantly, it EMPOWERS.  Without the story, we’re left with blank slates.” 

He states that there are five ways a teacher leader can use storytelling that has the power to change a culture and to also ensure that the work we do everyday as educators is not only valued but treasured by all those that have a part in it.  Here are the five ways:

·      to inspire
·      to share
·      to engage
·      to comfort
·      to affect change


This all leads me back to why I started this journey looking at how storytelling can make us better people which in turn will make us a better school for our children.  Our theme word for this year is ENGAGEMENT.  If our children are not engaged in the learning then what is the point?  One way to engage our kids is by using stories that help set the foundation to get them involved in the instruction by inspiring their curiosity and love of learning.  The ultimate goal would be to have a teacher be able to connect and inspire through storytelling and sharing of themselves in the lessons they teach.  My goal then is help/inspire/influence my teachers to find their own story and know the WHY that supports what they do.   I think that before I can ask them to find their story, I will need to find my own.  Drew Dudley in an interview I read said the following that really resonated with me, “so again story telling is the basic unit to human understanding; so, be sure that you know what your story is about.  Make sure you figured it out, “What the lessons that you’ve learned from that story are? and eventually be willing to share it because we will never understand ourselves, and we will never understand each other if we do not share out stories.” 

To storytelling…..stay tuned!
Cindy

Links to some of the blogs and TED-ED talk that I just recently used to help start this journey called storytelling.

The Power of Story Telling - TED-ED talk by Drew Dudley:  

Interview with Drew Dudley:

Christopher Bronke - Blog on Teaching Channel:

Lisa Hollenbach - Blog on Teaching Channel:




No comments:

Post a Comment